IBM z/OS Container Extensions zCX (ESX0G)
• z/OS Container Extensions (zCX), a new entitled capability of z/OS 2.4, ushers in a new era ofhybrid computing supporting running Linux applications directly on z/OS.
• IBM® z/OS® Container Extensions (IBM zCX) makes it possible to run Linux on IBM Z®applications that are packaged as Docker container images on z/OS. Application developers candevelop and data centers can operate popular open source packages, Linux applications, IBMsoftware, and third-party software together with z/OS applications and data.
This class is intended for z/OS system programmers and IT specialists incharge of configuring, implementing and deploying zCX under z/OS 2.4- This class is also intended for Application developers who will deploy dockercontainers in a zCX z/OS container extensions instance
- General z/OS knowledge, including basic UNIX System Services skills- Basic knowledge of RACF- Basic knowledge of z/OSMF and workflowsTBD
- Describe the components of z/OS Container Extensions (zCX)- Plan the resources required to setup zCX- Configure and implement a zCX instance with z/OSMF workflow- Start and connect to your zCX instance- Access your zCX CLI Container and issue Docker commands- Provision and deploy application container using zCX docker CLI- Create Docker volumes for data persistence- Monitor and manage your zCX instance and your containers- Deploy some use-case applications in zCX containers- Understand the Security considerations for zCX and containers- Setup zCX user management and authentication- Implement clustering and orchestration of zCX instances and container- Understand how to to Dockerize your Applications for z/OS Container Extensions- Implement a zCX private secure registry to deploy your own containers- Position zCX in the world of Hybrid Cloud- Select workloads for zCX- Determine which application is a good fit for zCX- Describe some zCX use-cases
- In this course we will learn the capabilities and benefits of zCX.- You will plan, configure and implement a zCX instance with z/OSMF workflows- You will learn how to use z/OSMF to setup and configure zCX- Create, provisioning, and deploying a zCX instance- Use z/OSMF workflows to manage the lifecycle of a zCX instance, deprovision a zCX instance- Use reconfiguration workflow to increase/decrease resources for zCX instance- Using zCX Command Line Interface, you will- Get familiar with the docker CLI- Explore installing zCX containers within newly provisioned zCX instance- provision and deploy application containers using zCX docker CLI commands- Explore how to cluster zCX applications for higher availability and load balancing- Operationally control zCX- Dockerize your Applications for z/OS Container Extensions- Create Docker volumes for data persistence, monitor and manage your zCX instance and containers- Implement a zCX private secure registry to deploy your own containers- Exercises and recorded demos reinforce the concepts and technologies being covered in the lectures.