Analyzing and Visualizing Data with Looker
This course is an introductory-level training that outlines Looker’s capabilities for working with data and provides guided demos and hands-on practice with Looker functionality for data exploration, analysis and visualization.
This course enables learners to do the kind of data exploration and analysis in Looker that would formerly be done primarily by SQL developers or analysts. Participants will learn how to leverage Looker's modern analytics platform to find and explore relevant content in their organization’s Looker instance, ask questions of data, create new metrics as needed, and build and share visualizations and dashboards to facilitate data-driven decision making.
Who should attend
Business users who need to draw insights from data; Data analysts who are responsible for data analysis and visualization within their organizations.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define Looker and the capabilities it provides for working with data.
- Explain the four core analytical concepts in Looker (dimensions, measures, filters, pivots).
- Use dimensions, measures, filters, and pivots to analyze and visualize data.
- Create advanced metrics instantaneously with table calculations.
- Create dashboards to combine and share visualizations.
- Use folders and boards in Looker to organize content for navigability and discoverability.
Not covered in this course:
- LookML (Looker Modeling Language)
- Looker admin features and functions
Detailed Course Outline
Module 1 - Introduction to Looker
Topics - Looker interface and components
- Define Looker and the capabilities it provides for working with data
- Navigate the Looker interface to access data and functionality
Module 2 - Core Analytics Concepts
Topics - Dimensions, measures, filters, pivots
- Explain the four core analytical concepts in Looker (dimensions, measures,filters, pivots)
- Use dimensions to access data attributes
- Use measures to aggregate data attributes
- Combine dimensions and measures for richer data analysis and visualization
- Filter dimensions and measures to analyze a subset of the data
- Use pivots to restructure and group data
Module 3 - Table calculations
Topics - Table calculations, offset functions
- Explain how table calculations and offset functions are used to work with data in Looker
- List the types of table calculations and offset functions available in Looker
- Create new metrics instantaneously with table calculations and offset functions
Module 4 - Dashboards
Topics - Looker dashboards, data delivery options
- Understand how to use dashboards in Looker to share data and results with stakeholders
- Create dashboards to visualize multiple aspects of a business topic or domain
- Add new content to an existing dashboard
- Add filters to a dashboard for flexible analysis of a subset of the data
- Deliver data outside of Looker for access by other stakeholders or systems
Module 5 - Content Management
Topics - Looker content organization, folders, boards
- Explain how to use folders in Looker to organize content for navigability and discoverability
- Create and share boards to centralize content pertaining to one topic or theme