Essentials of Service Development for IBM DataPower Gateway V7.5 (WE751G)
This course is also available as self-paced virtual (e-learning) course Essentials of Service Development for IBM DataPower Gateway V7.5 (ZE751G).
This course teaches you the essential skills that are required to configure, implement, and troubleshoot services that are developed on the IBM DataPower Gateways (IDG) with firmware version 7.5.0, regardless of use case.
The DataPower Gateways allow an enterprise to simplify, accelerate, and enhance the security capabilities of its XML and web services deployments, and extend the capabilities of its service-oriented architecture (SOA) infrastructure. The gateways also extend these capabilities into the JSON, REST, and Mobile application areas.
Through a combination of instructor-led lectures and hands-on lab exercises, you learn how to develop and debug services that are implemented on the DataPower gateways. These skills include WebGUI and Blueprint Console navigation, service type selection, basic multi-protocol gateway configuration, creating and using cryptographic objects, and configuring SSL connections. You also learn how to use various problem determination tools such as logs, monitors, and probes, and techniques for testing DataPower services and handling errors.
Hands-on exercises give you experience working directly with a DataPower Gateway. The exercises focus on skills such as creating multi-protocol gateways, working with cryptographic and SSL objects, configuring service level monitoring, troubleshooting services, handling errors in a service policy, and deploying a service from a pattern.
This course is designed for integration developers who configure service policies on IBM DataPower Gateways.
Before taking this course, you should successfully complete course VW750, Technical Introduction to IBM DataPower Gateway Appliance V7.5.0. This free webcast is available at https://youtu.be/yYk5Bzuie4g or https://mediacenter.ibm.com/media/t/1_fb2tsml1. You should also be familiar with:
- Security-based concepts and protocols
- XML-related technologies such as XML schema, XPath, and XSLT
- Web service and REST basics
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Describe how DataPower gateways are configured
- Create and configure cryptographic objects
- Configure Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to and from DataPower gateways
- Configure a multi-protocol gateway (MPGW) to handle multiple protocols from a single service
- Configure a service level monitoring (SLM) policy to control message traffic
- Use logs and probes to troubleshoot services
- Use patterns to define and deploy new services
- Configure message transformation and routing by using style sheets (XSL) and GatewayScripts
- Handle errors in service policies
- Course introduction
- Quick introduction to developing on DataPower
- Exercise: First exposure to the DataPower developer environment
- Services overview
- Structure of a service
- Exercise: Creating a BookingService gateway
- Multi-protocol gateway service
- Problem determination tools
- Exercise: Enhancing the BookingService gateway
- Handling errors in a service policy
- Exercise: Adding error handling to a service policyDataPower cryptographic tools and SSL setup
- Exercise: Creating cryptographic objects and configuring SSLService level monitoring
- Exercise: Implementing a service level monitor in a multi-protocol gateway
- Patterns for service configuration
- Exercise: Using a DataPower pattern to deploy a service
- Course summary