IBM Spectrum Protect 8.1.13 Advanced Administration, Tuning, and Troubleshooting
IBM Spectrum Protect is an enterprise data protection solution designed to help you streamline your data protection processing, reduce the cost of storage, and provide the flexibility and security to meet any service level agreement. IBM Spectrum Protect optimizes storage utilization by using incremental forever as well as block-level backup and replication, policy-based data management, and an intuitive interface, the Operations Center.
In this course, you learn how the use of two or more Spectrum Protect servers provides more options for data movement in the environment, like replication to multiple targets. You also use IBM Cloud Object Storage to create a storage pool for backups and long-term retention. The bulk of the administrative tasks are performed using the Operations Center and Command Builder which provides a command line interface for all servers configured in the Operations Center. This course also includes scripting, performance tuning, protecting, and recovering the database and storage pools, and an introduction to IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.
The hands-on exercises are performed on three different IBM Spectrum Protect servers, two on Windows, and one on Linux, with additional systems added to provide the IBM Cloud Object Storage environment.
This course is the second in a two-course series. It is for Spectrum Protect administrators who are familiar with the daily management tasks on a single server, and focuses on incorporating more advanced features, including replication and use of cloud object storage. Basic concepts and installation are not covered in this course.
TS619G, the first course in the series, IBM Spectrum Protect 8.1.12 Implementation and Administration, covers installation and basic administration of a single server.
Implementers and administrators who have experience with IBM Spectrum Protect.
You should be able to perform the following skills managing an IBM Spectrum Protect environment before taking this course:
- Explain the primary components of IBM Spectrum Protect
- Install a Spectrum Protect server, backup-archive client, Client Management Services, and Operations Center
- Complete initial configuration of the server and client
- Configure and manage client options
- Define and manage storage pools in a single server environment
- Launch and navigate the administrative and client interfaces
- Manage the IBM Spectrum Protect database and recovery log
- Create and manage storage pools and storage pool volumes
- Configure a media library and manage tape media
- Create policy to meet business requirements
- Back up, restore, archive, and retrieve client data
- Protect the IBM Spectrum Protect environment
- Schedule basic administrative tasks
- Monitor server and client messages and events
- Describe the expanded functions of a multi-server IBM Spectrum Protect storage environment
- Manage storage pools and data movement across devices, containers, and cloud
- Implement server-to-server communications and replication
- Configure long-term data management using retention rules and retention sets
- Employ advanced client backup and recovery functions to enhance performance
- Perform daily maintenance and monitor activities to improve security and recoverability
- Automate daily processing using macros and scripts
- Work with tuning parameters for the Spectrum Protect server and client
- Troubleshoot common problems and perform disaster recovery operations
- Describe IBM Spectrum Protect Plus and additional products in the Spectrum portfolio
Unit 1 IBM Spectrum Protect in a multi-server environment
Unit 2 Storage pool management overview
Unit 3 Multi-server management
Unit 4 Long-term retention
Unit 5 Client functions and management
Unit 6 Daily maintenance and monitoring
Unit 7 Automation and scripting
Unit 8 Performance tuning
Unit 9 Troubleshooting and recovery
Unit 10 IBM Spectrum Protect additional products